I realize that I post a lot about things I am planning to do, rather than things I have done. Well, this is another one of those posts. We have returned from our holiday vacation, I have run my marathon, and it is supposed to rain this weekend. Rainy weekend equals baking projects! What will I be baking, you may ask?
Here’s the short list: (which may grow longer still)
1) More granola! We have gone through three batches in one week…..Actually, I think there is some peanut butter granola left but it doesn’t look quite right so no one is trying it.
2) Bread. I have yeast, flour, water, salt and oil. I am baking bread this weekend. Just the traditional run-of-the mill whole wheat bread-and if it turns out-possibly some white bread.
3) A nice cake. I still haven’t decided which cake to make but I am leaning towards the Rainbow Cake blogged about on CakeSpy—-
It looks so fun, festive and perfect for Nova’s birthday party. I’ll make a test cake this weekend and see how it turns out.
4) I am also leaning toward this simple cake from the Amatuer Gourmet for an after dinner snack…….I have apples, cornmeal and sugar so it doesn’t require any trips to the grocery store at all. (One of my new year’s resolutions is to stay out of the grocery store as much as possible—which means buying from local farms, using the ingerdients I have on hand, expanding my garden, and making things I may normally buy (e.g. Hostess Cupcakes or cheese). (Just to be clear, I don’t normally buy Hostess cupcakes–but I did make some and they were GREAT!)
5) Seeded Flatbread (and Portuguese Potato Kale Soup): This seeded flatbread recipe comes from 101 Cookbooks and the photos make my mouth water. Normally, I would shy away from anything “seeded”, but in an effort to expand my palate and my cooking skills—I have decided to try it. This will be our dinner on Sunday night……I can’t wait. I suppose I should think of something else for the kids—-I can just see thier expressions when I set these two items on the table.
My other goal for this weekend is to actually photograph my creations as I am cooking. This is usually my intent but sometimes I can’t find the camera, the batteries are dead, or I don’t feel like uploading them to the computer. But, I just got a Mac laptop, with Photoshop (finally!) and I intend to use it.